Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole

The North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission has a new cooking contest titled "No More 'Mallows" and I have the perfect recipe to enter.  I agree with the Commission that the combination of sweet potatoes and marshmallows is way overrated.   Update: OK, I didn't win but I still like my recipe!
Over the years, I have been making a variety of fillings for my version of enchilada casserole (I have a very simple way of getting the great taste of enchiladas without mess of frying of tortillas, adding the filling, rolling, etc.)  I often bake a sweet potato as a simple side for a Mexican or Puerto Rican meal. 
So I took the Sweet Potato Commission's challenge and decided to incorporate the great taste of sweet potato into a vegetarian enchilada casserole. This dish can be a main course or a side dish accompanying something simple such as grilled chicken or pork chops.
I hope you enjoy!
1 pound sweet potatoes
1 medium yellow onion
2 large cloves garlic
1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14-ounce can corn, drained
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 package (12 ounces) queso fresco
1 TBSP oil
1 large can (19 ounces) red enchilada sauce (I prefer medium hot)
16 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded jack cheese
Peel and shred sweet potatoes into a large bowl.  Dice onion and add to sweet potatoes.  Mince garlic and add to the bowl along with the black beans, corn and spices.  Crumble the cheese, add to the bowl and stir until all ingredients are distributed fairly evenly.
Coat a 9 x 13-inch Pyrex pan with the oil.  Pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the dish.  Cut 8 of the tortillas in half and distribute evenly in the casserole dish.  Pour 1/2 cup enchilada sauce over the tortillas.  Add the sweet potato filling and distribute evenly.  Drizzle with another 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce.  Cut the remaining tortillas in half and distribute evenly over the top of the sweet potato mixture.  Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the casserole and top with the shredded jack cheese.

Bake for one hour in a 350-degree oven.  After 30 minutes, loosely cover the casserole with a piece of aluminum foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment