Sunday, November 21, 2010

Zucchini Soup

Oh my, November already!?  Where has the cooking time gone?

I just submitted the following recipe to Sunset Magazine (Eastern folk probably have not heard of Sunset Magazine since the subtitle is "Living in the West" - it is a popular Western US publication. I will rant about cooking periodicals  based on the East Coast very soon)  The instructions for a submission of a recipe for the "Fast and Fresh" recipe section - use fresh ingredients and be able to cook from start to finish in 30 minutes.  If they choose my recipe I get $100.00.  Keep your fingers crossed folks.  They also have a contest worth $500 but for this one you have to use a white fish (like halibate) green peas and asparagus.  And it has to be prepared in 45 minutes.  Sorry, the 3 ingredients are not together in any of my recipes and I am not going to experiment with something as costly as halibute!
Zucchini Soup
Serves 4
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic smashed
4 medium zucchini, stem ends removed and sliced into ½” slices
1 cup dry white wine (you can substitute water)
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
5-6 oz goat cheese

Sauté onions in olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes – stir frequently. Add wine, cover and continue cooking until zucchini is tender – about 5 to 7 minutes. Puree veggies in a food processor until fairly smooth. Return mixture to the pot, add broth and cheese.

OK, I have to admit that I do not cook this soup in 30 minutes.  Normally it takes me about an hour.  I chop the veggies and set them to simmer and go off and look at my email.  Eventually I wander back to the kitchen and puree the veggies.  Usually my blender leaks so I have to do some clean-up.  Everything gets mixed together and set back on the stove to warm and for the cheese to melt.  Meanwhile, I wander back to my computer or the book I was reading and relax until the loml calls out "Is it soup yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment